We are proud to present characters from the first world war, including a soldier, a nurse and a pacifist.
A selection of characters from the 1914–1918 Great War are available to visit you. These include:
- Tommy Atkins – a soldier
- Frank Hague-Smith – a Padre
- Captain WE Johns – a pilot
- Nurse Edith Cavell – shot as a spy
Sessions may involve more than one educator, so that students can benefit from a carousel of activities on a variety of topics – poetry, life in the trenches, medical treatments, life at home, songs and Patriotism.
We look at why the war happened, the duration, innovations and the aftermath.
Activities can include:
- Poppy making and why we use the Poppy to remember war.
- Singing songs
- Dress up as a British soldier
- Artefact handling
- Writing a letter home from the trenches describing conditions